View Single Post
Old June 1 2013, 01:38 AM   #3
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: Let's Discuss the Romulan Bird of Prey!

Albertese wrote: View Post
For example, how big is this ship? The markings along the edge, if considered to be windows comparable to the Enterprise's would suggest a rim that's three decks thick. Maybe they're not windows and the ship is quite small, like the Klingon BoP from Star Trek III, IV, and VI. If they aren't windows, then what might they be?
I believe these markings along the edge to be portholes that give us a vague idea about the actual size and I have little doubt that the command center is located on top.

How big a crew is there? What sort of facilities are there for them? Is the whole ship as cramped looking as the bridge we see in "Balance of Terror?" I wonder how closly riding in one of these would compare to a mid-twentieth Century diesel sub...
I think the cramped bridge gives us an idea that the rest of the ship is equally cramped and was an analogy for a submarine just as the theme of the episode itself.

Do you suppose the TNG era artificial singularity power source was already in use during the 2260's?
No. To me the whole vessel always seemed like a flying fusion reactor in space where something was done with the fusion plasma to accelerate it to warp speed and mix it with some volatile ingredient.

What might the internal layout be like? Are there any small craft, like shuttles and such? Can the ship land?
I always envisoned the Bird of Prey had some kind of small craft aboard and that it would have looked like Lazarus' craft from "The Alternative Factor", something reminiscent of an egg (it's a bird) and a little submarine thingy.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote