View Single Post
Old May 31 2013, 09:34 PM   #14
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Re: Strange Dark Matter Theory

Captain Nebula wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
I'd love to see your take on it, guys. In published papers, please.
Sure, if you can tell me how to publish a paper in that field without having a degree in that field.
Maybe that should tell you something. Also, that's factually wrong, because you can: your work only has to pass the peer review examination, and it's done. Which is something that I doubt it will, but that's another story.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
But yeah, iguana_tonante's post is pretty much arrogant and condescending.
Well, that's pretty much my job here on the board. That, and being right most of the time.

Metryq wrote: View Post
The best primer on the subject is Donald Scott's THE ELECTRIC SKY. There are many other fine books, but this one is the best intro for newcomers.
From the book description:

Can you make sense out of press releases and TV programs that attempt to explain the newest astronomical ‘discoveries’ – things like invisible dark energy, warped 11-dimensional spaces, and black holes that spit out matter? If not, you have lots of company.
The time to search for some realistic, intelligent, scientific answers has arrived.
The gist of the book seems to be: "I don't understand it, so it must be wrong". Science!

The average informed person can understand and make rational judgments about these ideas.
No, they can't. Just like the "average person" can't become a neurosurgeon just because they'd really like to, the "average person" can't suddenly become an expert in astrophysics because "all that science-y talk is hard, man: let's make it simpler!".

All it requires is the time and patience to read and to think logically and critically about the issues.
No, it requires a lot more. Effort, study, talent and drive.

Some basic facts and a few new concepts will suffice.
No, they won't. Just like you need years of study and work to become an accomplished neurosurgeon (and let's not talk about an innovator in the field), you can't improvise astrophysical discoveries with "common sense", high school maths, and a unyielding belief that the universe must bow down to your personal ability to understand stuff.

The main goal of this book is to convince you, the reader, that you really do have both the capability and responsibility to make informed, critical judgments about the pronouncements of establishment science.
Then the goal is idiotic, because it doesn't work like that. Any idiot with delusions of grandeur can't make informed, critical judgement about the pronouncements of established science. It just ain't so.

Last edited by iguana_tonante; May 31 2013 at 09:57 PM.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote