View Single Post
Old May 31 2013, 04:33 PM   #14
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: Why do non gamers bash gamers?

Reverend wrote: View Post
Of course this brings with it the terrifying prospect that we have the video game equivalent of the disco era to look forward to, if indeed it's not already upon us. Either way, I'll be giving that a miss.
I think that era might be represented by Kinect dancing games.

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Non-gamers do not bash gamers. Gaming is as socially acceptable as watching films.
It depends on the age group, I think. People under 30 either grew up playing games or are friends with people who did, so it's just normal to us. But in wider society there appears to be a perception that gamers are a subset of nerdom, as opposed to there being a nerdy subset of gamedom (of which I admit I am a part).

Anecdotally, there's a British comedy show called 10 O'Clock Live that talked a little bit about the Xbox One last week and one of the comedians on the show, Jimmy Carr, went for a rather lame joke referring to gamers as virgins. An odd choice considering the show appears to be targeted at 20-somethings, and the fact that one of the other comedians on the show, Charlie Brooker, is a famous video game fan that started his career as a game reviewer.