View Single Post
Old May 31 2013, 04:19 PM   #284
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Everyone knows about Section 31 now, so whoever succeeds Admiral Marcus as head of Starfleet will be motivated to prove he (or she) is not one of them.
Do we know that? We know that Kirk knows about them. I'm sure he reported what Marcus told him about them, that there were investigations in the wake of the Vengeance crash, and hopefully the organization was exposed and dismantled by the final scene of the movie a year later. But there was never actually a line in the movie confirming that S31's existence had become common knowledge.
I'm sure Kirk would be listened to, after all of this went down. What with all of the damage to San Francisco and London, and the resurgence of Khan, Starfleet is going to be motivated to hunt down and punish the people responsible. I assume that the reason Marcus blabbed about Section 31 was that he wasn't expecting Kirk to survive...so I think Kirk's whistleblowing will prove fruitful. Even if existing S31 members attempt to cover their tracks, I don't think it will work. I envision all of them (however many there are) being charged with high treason.
I just hope the Federation is competent enough to pull off an Operation Paperclip, because I can just see them sentencing all the people with valuable knowledge (engineers, technicians, strategists, etc...) to ridiculous prison terms and then getting blackballed into releasing all of them when the Klingons inevitably come. I can also see the Federation going "See, gene enhancement is bad!" instead of "See, we should have our own guys genetically enhanced to counter this and other threats."

Then again, the Federation Council has a great incentive to look the other way since Section 31 did get some pretty great results from having Khan give his input on weapons designs and what not. And there's also the fact that all of the deaths in San Francisco are Kirk's fault, since he didn't kill Khan when he had the chance, thereby allowing a mass murderer to slam the Vengeance into the city (there's an Unintended Aesop here). I can totally see Starfleet and the Council wanting to cover up the fact that gross incompetence was responsible for such a huge tragedy.

If anything, Kirk getting the five year mission is good way to keep him ruining everything. Just tell him "yeah, it's totally fine if you violate the Prime Directive to save primitives, just don't start a war with anybody while we fix everything you broke" and everything will work out.