View Single Post
Old May 31 2013, 06:19 AM   #92
OpenMaw
Commander

Re: Was there a TMP Enterprise outrage ?

I was four years old when I saw The Motion Picture. It was my first Star Trek experience. Sitting in the living room, watching it on a moderately sized screen. It was the VHS extended edition. I was unfamiliar with anything else Star Trek, and it wasn't until my step dad told me about TOS and TNG that I really became familiar with bigger Trek.

The TMP Enterprise will probably always be 'my' star ship Enterprise. Nothing will ever do better in my mind. The balance, the colors, the shapes, the lighting. It all snaps, and feels just right. She's a beautiful design and I can't imagine anyone actually "hating" it. Opinions are opinions of course, and everyone is entitled to their own. I just can't really imagine it. As equally as i'd love to meet Shatner or Nimoy, i'd also love to be able to take a close look at the original Motion Picture model.

After watching TMP on a loop three times, I actually pulled out my big plastic bin of lego's, and began building the bridge, the enterprise, Klingon battle cruisers, and having adventures with Kirk and Spock. Shortly thereafter the local TV stations were having marathons and 'megathons' of TOS and TNG. A great big new frontier.

Someday I hope to have my own house, and in that house will be a hobby room of some sort, and hanging beneath a black painted ceiling, dotted with glow in the dark flecks of paint and hand painted nebula, will be a reasonably sized scale USS Enterprise Refit.