View Single Post
Old November 13 2005, 03:26 PM   #95
Vice Admiral
Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: TNG fans please identify yourselves ...

Hey everyone. I'm a longtime Trek BBS poster but I haven't really posted in TNG forum for some reason. Perhaps it's because for so long there was Voyager and [/i]Enterprise[/i] to keep me company that TNG seemed (don't gasp!) somewhat old.

But really I owe everything to TNG. It introduced me to the wonderful concept of Star Trek and formed my adolescent existance a great deal. I didn't begin to faithfully watch the show, strangely, until around mid-1994 when the show had been cancelled. I was in my pre-teen stages and my mother was dating this guy who was a big Trekkie. He then introduced me to TNG and crazily enough I began to love it. He had all of the episodes on tape so I watched those and then some when TNG began re-airing episodes during the subsequent years of 1995 and so forth.

Back then there were more younger Trekkies then there are now. Through liking TNG I meet a friend (who I am still in contact with) my age that loved Star Trek as much as I and he introduced me to DS9. I collected every piecce of memorabilia that crossed my path. I saw my first Trek film in the theater, First Contact, on opening day and thought it was incredible. When VOY aired I watched that (but didn't faithfully follow the show until it was in its fourth season) but still had a place in my heart for TNG.

When Insurrection came out it was like a special day, clearing activities off my schedule to catch the first showing. Same for Nemesis, although I was slightly disappointed with that (even more so since it's undoubtedly the last TNG movie ever).

But since this is a TNG forum I'll keep it TNG-related. I still watch the show from time to time and every year my friends and family get me a new season on DVD. It is, without a doubt, my favorite Star Trek televised incarnation and the most influential piece of pop culture in my life.

My favorite TNG character is Captain Picard, who I looked up to growing up. Data is my second favorite, and his continuous search for his humanity always intrigued me and kept me fascinated about his character. I also loved Picard's platonic relationship with Dr. Crusher and the ongoing mystery of Riker & Troi on whether or not they would ever truly hook up (Troi's relationship with Worf? It's blasphemy I tell you!).

That's about it. Of course there are tons more to discuss but I'll just leave it at that for an introductory post.
"Please... We need you to hope again... " - Professor Charles Xavier, X-Men: Days of Future Past
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote