View Single Post
Old May 30 2013, 10:00 PM   #1471
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

throwback wrote: View Post
Star Trek, as a movie franchise, had its greatest success in the 1980s. I think that people expected the reboot would have the phenomenal success of other rebooted properties, but I think this brief survey shows that it hasn't happened.
Star Trek went up to comparable success to the 1980s movies when you take into account the nature of movie economics in the two eras. What you have to bear in mind is that the movie business changed dramatically in the 1990s and 2000s. Prior to that budgets were much lower, even adjusted for inflation, and theatrical box office was the primary source of revenue. Theatrical profits were the name of the game.

In the 1990s and 2000s budgets went way up - although the 1990s Trek films were kept under a much tighter leash compared to budgets in general - and home entertainment became a very important source of revenue, delivering more revenue than the studio's cut of theatrical box office. That, together with the development of foreign box office, which is particularly drawn to huge FX-heavy action films, kept budgets high and delivered the revenue to sustain those budgets. The much higher budgets of today means that theatrical profits alone usually won't match those of the most successful films from the pre-1990s era, but the business model isn't built on theatrical box office to the extent it was then.