View Single Post
Old May 30 2013, 04:51 PM   #51
Amasov
Rear Admiral

Re: Was the reveal of the Enterprise-A a big surprise?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
But then did TUC imply the crew was getting decomissioned or the ship ? If the latter, that's just 5 years for a brand new ship.
That depends on if you accept the Okuda Chronology's dates, which has ST II-V happening over the course of 3 years (2285-87) when internal evidence from the movies show them taking place over the course of a few months at the most.
In Okuda's chronology, Star Treks II-III took place towards the very end of 2285 and then Star Trek IV took place three months later in early 2286. He then placed Star Trek V in 2287 after presumably a year-long shakedown cruise (or space trials) of the Enterprise-A.
They also have TWOK 18 years after The Space Seed rather than 15 (and yes, I am aware of the reasons why; and no, they can't be 15 Ceti Alphan years, since Kirk independently confirms the 15 year time-frame)
But it can be a figurative or off-hand number given by both Kirk and Khan. Quite a few people in the real world do that when being precise isn't an issue (Spock might be the only one inclined to give an exact number--even down to the month and day perhaps).
I think you have to assume that ST5 takes place shortly after 4 on the basis of Scotty's, "Let's see what she's got, said the Captain, and then we found out, didn't we?" The totally-different bridge appearance aside, of course.

By this time, the original 1701 had been gone three months, so I don't believe the E-A was a totally new ship built in the time between the Bird of Prey crash and the crew's trial -- of course, I don't know how much time passes between those two events. A day or two, perhaps?

I'm with the poster who said the ship that stood for the E-A was on a permanent standby basis and the reason she has the shortest lifespan is that the E-B could have been under construction or in the planning stages at that time.
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote