View Single Post
Old May 30 2013, 01:58 PM   #279
Christopher
Writer

Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I saw some discussion upthread about Christine Chapel. I haven't seen the entire run of the original series in about two decades, but I seem to remember her being a major supporting character along with Sulu, Chekov and Uhura. Maybe I'm mistaken and she wasn't, but that's what I remember.
She was a bit more secondary. She made 25 appearances in TOS, versus 35 for Chekov, 51 for Sulu, 64 for Scott, 65 for Uhura, etc. Even if you throw in the 9 animated episodes she was in, she still comes in last among the recurring characters (well, second-last if you count Rand).

Still, I suppose it's the movies that solidified a lot of the public perceptions about the characters and their prominence. There's no reason the movies couldn't have given Chapel a significant ongoing role, but after TMP, they didn't. Really, once she became a doctor, having both her and McCoy would've been a bit redundant.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Everyone knows about Section 31 now, so whoever succeeds Admiral Marcus as head of Starfleet will be motivated to prove he (or she) is not one of them.
Do we know that? We know that Kirk knows about them. I'm sure he reported what Marcus told him about them, that there were investigations in the wake of the Vengeance crash, and hopefully the organization was exposed and dismantled by the final scene of the movie a year later. But there was never actually a line in the movie confirming that S31's existence had become common knowledge. Maybe it depends on how good they are at hiding and concealing evidence. Although I'm skeptical of stories about conspiracies that are unbeatable and impossible to unearth; in reality, unless one lives in a totalitarian state, secrets aren't that easy to keep once people start looking.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote