Thread: death penalty
View Single Post
Old May 30 2013, 06:00 AM   #94
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Re: death penalty

RobertVA wrote: View Post
Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
Now, let's try again... Are your opinions about best practices in corrections based on actual knowledge of the field, or are they just... opinions?
If I wanted to answer I would have responded the first time. Don't assume things about me I don't clearly type
If I were really assuming, I wouldn't have asked the question.

So what kind of limits are you suggesting should be put on music?

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
For what it's worth about supermax prisons. There was a documentary that compared and contrasted two prisons. One was a supermax prison that had 23 1/2 hour lockdown. The other allowed prisoners free access to most facilities and relied on a privilege system where those who broke the rules lost their privileges. Keep in mind these are for the same offense, many of which were capital offenses. The more open facility was safer for the staff, cheaper to run, had fewer disciplinary problems, etc. (not to mention, of course, that it also had lower rates of depression and attempted suicide among inmates). As one guard in the Arlington County jail said, "we discovered if you treat people like animals, they'll start to behave like animals."
Yup. Maryland actually closed their supermax a few years ago, because they'd figured out by then the importance of providing programming for inmates, and the building wasn't designed for it. The newest maximum security prison (out in Western Md.) has a behavior modification program that operates something like you describe. I don't remember how many of the inmates take part in it. It's not the whole facility.

I get so tired of people ranting about how prisoners shouldn't be allowed to attend classes or watch TV or whatever. What they don't understand is that busy inmates make for a safer, more secure facility.

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
I'm assuming that the female officers who were indicted were affiliated in some way with the gang before they were hired as officers and took the job specifically to infiltrate the jail. That was happening a lot of places. A few years ago, TPTB started looking at possible gang connections as part of pre-employment investigations, but these women were hired before then.
There are reports that infiltration is a deliberate tactic by Baltimore gangs.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. Sorry if I wasn't very clear.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote