View Single Post
Old May 30 2013, 03:21 AM   #270
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Its extremely rare that a pitcher ever deliberately aims for the head so I find this concern somewhat unwarranted.
I'm not entirely sure I buy into this idea 100 percent. The "unwritten rules" of baseball are complete and utter bullshit, yet there are a lot of man-children in MLB. (Carlos Quentin being a great example, despite not being a pitcher.) Hell, Kerry Wood, one of my favorite Cubs of all time, loved throwing at people, and especially above the shoulders.

I'll never forget being horrified by my high school pitching coach. During one pitching staff meeting, he showed us the whole "They pull a knife? You pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue" bit from The Untouchables, and told us that we'd run flagpoles (we used the scrimmage football field as our "practice" field; we had to run between the field goal posts multiple times if our performance in a game or our practice wasn't quite up to par) if we didn't plunk someone hard if one of our batters got hit. That's bullshit, and it's a dangerous trait to be instilling in young players, but I really doubt Coach Lou was / is the only person espousing this behavior.