View Single Post
Old May 30 2013, 01:46 AM   #87
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: DC Comics' Star Tek (1st Series)

Steve67 wrote: View Post
This 2008 article from Comic Book Resources discusses the Peter David-Richard Arnold drama and the comments sections include remarks from PAD himself. I guess the hiatus isn't the big story here! Thanks to everyone for their replies. Keep 'em coming!
From the replies to the above linked article...

Peter David

June 13, 2008 at 10:41 am

Bart J. has it essentially correct.

The fact is that Richard Arnold’s notes became increasingly ludicrous, such as shutting down a romantic interest for Kirk by asserting that Kirk was no longer interested in women. We were reaching the point where it was becoming impossible to get stories approved. Richard rejected one story with the assertion that there was “too much violence,” even though the violence consisted of a sustained fist fight scene with Kirk (as if they never had those in Trek).

As a test, I submitted a script under a fake name which sailed through the approvals process even though it had far more violence than the previous script which was rejected for that reason. When that was approved, I knew that it had nothing to do with the stories and everything to do with Richard’s enmity toward me (a far longer story to go into.) At which point I resigned from the book since I felt I could no longer do the job I was hired to do, namely provide stories for DC.

Final kicker: The fake name under which I submitted the story that was approved? “Robert Bruce Banner.”

PAD