View Single Post
Old May 29 2013, 03:18 PM   #65
Christopher
Writer

Re: Guy Ritchie To Direct 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E.' Starring Tom Cruis

Gaith wrote: View Post
Yeah, I think it'd be easy not to be vain about hair color when one looks, sounds, and looks as good with gray hair as Clooney.
His father Nick Clooney (who was a local news anchor when I was growing up, and whom I got to meet once) always looked good with silver hair, and I'm struck by how much more George resembles his father as he gets older.

Anyone else without pre-existing fondness for the property think The Man From U.N.C.L.E. is kind of a lame name, though? I didn't grow up with the show, but I have a hard time picturing something with that title doing as well with the unwashed teen-demo masses as something shorter and punchier a la Get Smart.
On the other hand, it's been an inspiration for other titles continuing to the present day -- there are upcoming Marvel Comics-based TV shows called Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in live action and Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. in animation. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby created S.H.I.E.L.D. in the comics just a year after TMFU premiered, and were drawing on it as an influence (as well as James Bond organizations like SPECTRE -- and keep in mind that Ian Fleming had a hand in the creation of TMFU).

The name U.N.C.L.E. was chosen because it evoked both the United Nations and Uncle Sam, but was ambiguous about the organization's actual affiliation.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote