View Single Post
Old May 28 2013, 08:57 PM   #129
aridas sofia
Rear Admiral

Re: Updating FJ's technical manual?

I appreciate that. I know you mean well. We have these discussions going on from time to time about various aspects of Trek fandom that probably are only understood by people who were interested in this stuff back in the 60s and 70s. Right there we have the potential for conflict among posters that feel strongly and those that don't get what all the fuss is about. Franz Joseph's work is certainly one of those subjects. To discuss it fruitfully we need to stick to facts or identify our opinions as such or the discussion will quickly devolve. So while I appreciate your intent, believe it or not, I'm doing the same thing. Unsubstantiated BS fills the internet and this BBS is not immune. But the FJ discussions actually interest me so I'd like to see minimized the same old claims of illegitimacy made by posters that can't be troubled to actually seek out, read and post quotes in context. Reading yet another post saying FJ didn't get it right doesn't add much to a discussion, particularly if there is some indication FJ wasn't trying to get it "right". Let's discuss what he was actually trying to do and why. When I read this thread I sometimes feel as if I am with someone complaining their Mcdonald's hamburger isn't Ruth's Chris steak. The Technical Manual is what it is. Assess it as such and not as the "Art of TOS" book Matt Jefferies never made.
aridas sofia is offline   Reply With Quote