View Single Post
Old May 28 2013, 08:57 PM   #183
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: Mad Men season 6 (spoilers)

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
Lord Garth wrote: View Post
Always Something There to Remind Me. Definitely not the version of the song I grew up with. Like Venus, I didn't know there was an earlier version.
Oh dear. Burt Bacharach and Hal David were quite an industry in the '60s, with artists fairly lining up to record their songs. Dionne Warwick was usually their go-to singer in the US, and Dusty Springfield and Cilla Black for the UK, but plenty of other artists made the charts with B-D compositions: Cher, B. J. Thomas, Herb Alpert, the Carpenters, Jerry Butler and on and on. Some of their songs seem to get re-discovered every generation or so, for instance "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" recordings by Elvis Costello and the Attractions and the White Stripes.

the G-man wrote: View Post
The Diane Warwick version was the one I knew best before Naked Eyes.
And the best version for my money. The way she kicks it upstairs at the key change... incredble. It didn't chart well for her, though.
One of my favorite B-D songs by Dionne as well. She does indeed "kick it upstairs" and gives that polite and oh so sophisticated soprano of hers a workout. I get exhausted listening to her version of the song. It's like she is walking a tightrope but never so much as wavers.

Back on topic; not only was I surprised by Don and Betty's little trist (I thought she'd turn him down), but they actually managed to generate a bit of heat. In fact, her storyline seemed to be the writer's way of welcoming back "hot" Betty.

Megan and Henry chose poorly.

I NEVER thought Abe would be the one to dump Peggy. I thought it would be the other way around. I love unpredictability.

I couldn't see Megan cheating with a man, but somehow I can maybe sorta see her cheating with a woman. Could be wrong of course.

Only one more episode for the season?
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote