View Single Post
Old May 28 2013, 07:33 PM   #262
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile
Re: Movies Seen In 2013

Star Trek Into Darkness - Theater - I want to say first that I really enjoyed ST09, thought it was exactly what Star Trek needed. Something big, loud and fun. With the change in timeline, they got enough right to make it one of the best Star Trek for me.

I went into this one knowing most of the "twists" and it didn't hurt the viewing for me. I enjoyed Into Darkness a lot but while I liked it, I was left feeling a little hollow. For me, the real story here was Kirks growth as a Starfleet Officer. The story I would have liked to seen would have expanded this more. I believe that you could have kept the tenets of this movie and expanded the whole Kirk loosing command of the Enterprise. In fact I think other aspects of the story could have been heighten if they focused on this more.

Need to talk about a few spoilers now...

I must give some shout outs to some great performances in the movie. I thought that again, Bruce Greenwood's Pike was the best thing about this movie. He had a real presence and really enjoyed the father figure that he became for Kirk. I also think that Peter Weller's Marcus really came close to Pike. I wish at the end, when Marcus was calling Kirk son, he really rebuffed him. How Marcus wasn't in the same league as Pike and doesn't get to call him son.

I also enjoyed Chris Pine's performance as Kirk this time even more then ST09. He brought more layers to this performance. I can see where Kirk is going, how Kirk will become Kirk. His scenes in the Warp Reactor brought a tear to my eyes. I about lost it when he said, "I'm scared."

Overall I'm very happy with this installment of Star Trek. I can't wait to see the next one.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - BluRay - I have owned The Hobbit since it came out on BluRay but last night was the first chance I got to watch it. Just wish I started it a bit earlier then 9pm, I didn't get to bed until after midnight last night.

As a huge Lord of the Rings fan and a slight Hobbit fan, I went into this expecting to enjoy it more then I did. The Hobbit fell completely flat for me. While all the elements were there, it never grabbed hold of me. Most of the performances were lackluster, I didn't like Martin Freeman performance as Bilbo and most of the dwarfs were forgettable. However Ian McKellen was great as Gandalf and Andy Serkis was again great as Gollum.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.

Last edited by Tom Hendricks; May 28 2013 at 07:35 PM. Reason: B
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote