View Single Post
Old May 28 2013, 05:35 PM   #76
VDCNI
Captain

Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

Ubik wrote: View Post
Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
She says an episode in 2007 had the Doctor speaking dismissively of Martha's fears that she would be sold into slavery as the two characters visited Elizabethan England.
The Doctor tells her to "walk about like you own the place. It works for me."
The author claims the comment "betrays the ignorance of writers about historical racial violence and contemporary white privilege".

Well now, that's a good point.
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but it is actually a good point. A black writer would not have given the white Doctor that line to say to a black companion, and a black Doctor could not have said it. (In fact, come to think of it, a black Doctor couldn't even enter the vast majority of Earth's time periods that he does and act like the leader he always does - he wouldn't have that freedom. The people from those time periods would never treat him the same way. Perhaps that's why they're avoiding making the Doctor black - because it would force the writers to deal with real-life racial politics in a way that makes them uncomfortable. This time travel show would finally be forced to present the past as it actually was, and not as the white guy's fantasy it often has been depicted as.)
I'm not fond of that line (though I've seen it argued that it 'proves' the 10th Doctor and RTD are complete racists which is absurd) but I can't decide if it's better or worse than ignoring the issue entirely.

After all they realistically aren't going to be able to address the issue every time they go back in time and as mentioned they also end up ignoring lots of other things to get away with the time travel stories particularly the way the doctor and sometimes the companions are dressed.
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote