View Single Post
Old May 28 2013, 05:18 PM   #74
Professor McGonagall
Rear Admiral

Re: Doctor Who accused of racism

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
^ Yes, that would be good.

And I like the term "uber-positives." There are a bunch of them in cancer-land, too.
Positive is better than negative, but for every picture I see of someone in a wheelchair visiting the Pyramids or whatever with a caption that says "I can do ANYTHING!", I want to say "Sure, but can you hang Christmas lights on the house or get winter clothes down from the attic?"

They hate me.
I'll bet they do. I spent only two months using a wheelchair, but those two months were quite... enlightening. Both because of things that were said (or not said) to me, and because I started paying more attention to how people talk about their own disabilities.

Ubik wrote: View Post
Maestro wrote: View Post
The book was written by a consortium of 23 academics and bloggers, primarily Americans, partially Australian, and with only a few Brits. The fact that a bunch of non-British folks are bitching about a British show lends them precious little credibility to begin with. Add to that that they're academics and feminist issue bloggers, I just really don't think the book should be taken seriously.

If they wanted to bitch about NCIS being racist, by all means, but Doctor Who? Sorry, not your country folks. STFU/GTFO.
Just to clarify: your argument is that "academics" ought never to be taken seriously? Is that your real opinion? Not only is that an ad hominem fallacy, but it's a damned bizarre one. Martin Luther King Jr. was an academic. Most of the major movers and shakers in the feminist movement of the 70's (a movement that every woman on this BBS board is living the fruits of) were academics, and "feminist issue" people. The people who are (hopefully) eventually going to save this planet from climate change extinction are going to be academics. Since this is primarily a science fiction board, allow me to point out that many of the best science fiction authors of all time were / are academics. I'm just saying - it was a very strange comment for you to make. (Perhaps I misunderstood?)
Professor McGonagall is offline   Reply With Quote