View Single Post
Old May 28 2013, 04:52 PM   #218
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Re: Offiical XBox (3) Launch Thread

PKerr wrote: View Post
Color me severely disappointed.
It's basically a spy box as it now ships with a Kinect 2.0 in every box that will NOT work unless the Kinnect is attached and on.
That's about my biggest gripe.. i don't like being handled by companies where i'm a customer. I don't want to be forced to use features i don't want or need to use the whole item.

Why does the Kinect 2 (or at least its microphone) have to be on the whole time if i just want the XBO to play games? What about my total disinterest in the Minority Report style computer control and my total lack of ambition to control it via voice?

For me these are gadgets to wow friends at first but i believe they will not be this precise and effective as the marketing campaign makes them out to be so you will be stuck with a system that works 50-70% of the time whereas my non-motion/non-voice remote control works 99.99% of the time and i don't have to wave around like an idiot or speak to a machine (granted.. it's the holy grail of Science Fiction but this old fart just isn't used to talking to machines and issuing commands).

MS needs to come up with some really good news and convince me they won't use the technology in my living room to gather data. I simply don't trust any company to abide by common decency. Maybe they fear the backlash of using the Kinect 2 as a spy tool (because it will be revealed very quickly if it does that) but they may not be able to resist (and maybe give themselves the rights to do so in the EULA in some vastly hidden passage).

Sorry.. the more i hear about MS plans and the features of the XBO the less i'm interested.