View Single Post
Old May 28 2013, 02:45 PM   #180
J.T.B.
Commodore

Re: Mad Men season 6 (spoilers)

the G-man wrote: View Post
One of the little subtleties of the show is when they show how progressively dangerous NYC was getting as we headed Into the 70s. A lot of people, especially those about 30 and under don't know about the pre-Guiliani city that served as a backdrop for films like Death Wish and Taxi Driver and how rough a place it could be.
You called that right. The sirens in the last one were pretty obtrusive.

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
Always Something There to Remind Me. Definitely not the version of the song I grew up with. Like Venus, I didn't know there was an earlier version.
Oh dear. Burt Bacharach and Hal David were quite an industry in the '60s, with artists fairly lining up to record their songs. Dionne Warwick was usually their go-to singer in the US, and Dusty Springfield and Cilla Black for the UK, but plenty of other artists made the charts with B-D compositions: Cher, B. J. Thomas, Herb Alpert, the Carpenters, Jerry Butler and on and on. Some of their songs seem to get re-discovered every generation or so, for instance "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" recordings by Elvis Costello and the Attractions and the White Stripes.

the G-man wrote: View Post
The Diane Warwick version was the one I knew best before Naked Eyes.
And the best version for my money. The way she kicks it upstairs at the key change... incredble. It didn't chart well for her, though.
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote