View Single Post
Old May 28 2013, 12:56 PM   #80
I am not Spock
Commodore

Re: A New Star Trek Show Will Need a Stronger Focus on Characterizatio

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
AviTrek wrote: View Post
mos6507 wrote: View Post
DS9 used all its characters, but most of them were not particularly likeable. That's the main reason to avoid that model.
Breaking Bad is filled with unlikable characters and it was still a success. Unlikable characters can be fine, as long as they're interesting.
Unlikeable characters are practically mandatory on cable/streaming now, and since there's no chance a Trek series would be made solely for broadcast (assuming broadcast even survives long enough), then the next series is most likely going to follow suit in that regards.

None of the Trek series will be used as a model. They are too far in the rear-view mirror. The TV business has moved on and the new successful genre series - Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead - are more likely to be models because they are the closest you can get nowadays to sic fi/cult audience stuff, and they are successful right now, not ten or twenty or fifty years ago.

So there will be more sex, lots more violence and gore, political machinations, backstabbing characters, adult themes, etc. More serialization and more attention to characterization than even DS9. No more Ferengi comedies and romances of the week. Sounds good to me.

Of course an animated series for kids would follow entirely different rules. in that case, it would be like The Clone Wars.

Predicting the form that the next series will take is easy. TV is nothing if not predictable. First, find out where it's going to be shown. Then look around for successful current examples of shows that are some kind of sci fi or close to it. That's what it will be like.
I find shows like Game of Thrones, and most HBO dramas, highly gratuitous, personally. It's like they're trying too hard to be edgy and 'adult' , with all the naughty bits, and swear words. Much like Torchwood.