View Single Post
Old May 28 2013, 06:24 AM   #133
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Re: Have cultural standards gotten lower?

Harvey wrote: View Post
All the evidence is contrary to your belief that Hollywood is producing remakes at a greater rate today than most other points in its history.

And, to counter the point of remakes produced within ten years of the original being a new offense, I will point out that The Maltese Falcon was made three times in ten years (1931, 1936, 1941). Perhaps most important here is the consensus that the third version is the best.

I'd comment on your remark that "[in the past] movies were not released anywhere near the rate they are today," but I can't imagine the conversation would be a productive one.
Heck, they used to split sets for different productions. Dracula filming in one half of the day, then a Spanish version filmed later for release in Mexico and other Spanish speaking venues. Hollywood studios could and did crank out films faster than Henry Ford's factories could spit out cars through out its history.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote