View Single Post
Old May 28 2013, 01:35 AM   #1281
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

CrazyHorse89 wrote: View Post
I think you're constructing a straw man. You could just as well substitute nuTrek for TOS and Bad Robot for Gene Roddenberry.
Not even close, CrazyHorse89.

As far as I see it, many of the most vociferous critics of this film (at least those who are fans) want it to fail, and this seems to be far more problematic than people wanting it to succeed.
I disagree. Observing various threads on nuTrek, a large, defensive body of members do behave like someone with a personal or professional stake in the success of the film. For example, I like some of the Marvel Comics films, but if one underperforms, it is not a matter for me or others you cite to scramble, wondering if it will add numbers in this or that territory, make it up on home video, etc.

At the end of the day, it is just a film, and this is just a discussion where the rule does not say "only BR/JJ supporter opinion welcome."

Some make it their priority to keep posting rather bitter comments attempting to criticize others for their opinion, which is (in my view) beyond the border of trolling, as it is not rare. Further, if nuTrek is the wonder that they hope/wish it to be, there woud be no need for such a concentrated, defensive effort. Honestly, if a few, random observations threaten nuTrek, then the film was in danger right out of the gates.

...but the danger comes from superheroes, comedic oddballs and fast cars, not a few message board members.