View Single Post
Old May 27 2013, 11:42 PM   #88
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: Why did they bother...

Anticitizen wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Spock had a relationship with a human woman six years prior to season one of TOS per "This Side of Paradise".
No, he didn't. Relevant quotes:

ELIAS: You've known the Vulcanian?
LEILA: On Earth, six years ago.
ELIAS: Did you love him?
LEILA: If I did, it was important only to myself.
ELIAS: How did he feel?
LEILA: Mister Spock's feelings were never expressed to me. It is said he has none to give.

LEILA: I love you. I said that six years ago, and I can't seem to stop repeating myself. On Earth, you couldn't give anything of yourself. You couldn't even put your arms around me. We couldn't have anything together there. We couldn't have anything together anyplace else. We're happy here. (crying) I can't lose you now, Mister Spock. I can't.
SPOCK: I have a responsibility to this ship, to that man on the Bridge. I am what I am, Leila, and if there are self-made purgatories, then we all have to live in them. Mine can be no worse than someone else's.

Clearly it was a one-sided 'relationship' in which Leila pined after Spock, but her affections were not returned due to his Vulcan stoicism.

I agree with the original poster. These characters do not resemble the originals. They are one-dimensional parodies and don't even get the basic character traits right.
Complete opposite for me, I like them because the casting was phenomenal, and instead of devolving into popular caricatures, they actually have a fantastic life of their own.

RAMA