View Single Post
Old May 27 2013, 05:08 PM   #59
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Continues "Pilgrim of Eternity"

Script revision is one of the "under the hood" issues for fan films that is always going to be difficult to solve. Coming up with a coherent story and turning it into a viable (for the medium) script are both extremely difficult. But "coherent" is not the same thing as "professional quality". I really think that the most important part of GR's role as showrunner for TOS (along with Gene Coon and DC Fontana) was in making sure there was an overall continuity to the way the characters behaved. I think the most valid complaint about this script (which I think is quite good in many ways) is that the constant references by Kirk to "consensus" does go "clunk" for those used to Kirk's ability to make decisions and willingness to take the heat for them. Command style is one thing that should be no matter who writes the story. I don't know if there's ever going to be any way to really solve that issue with a fan production, where someone can point out the flaws, false notes and inconsistencies for one last re-write that takes a show from the realm of serviceable entertainment (which I think is a remarkable achievement) into a high level.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote