They did backtrack a little on that, but his statements there were still critical of the Wii U and strongly pushing the XBO and PS4 as the true future of gaming. Although I suppose that could just be his experience from last gen carrying over to this gen and not some sinister plot to make Nintendo look bad.
Interestingly, there's now rumours
that the backlash against the XBO is making Sony reconsider their rumoured anti-used games policy.
“The jist of it is that Sony is listening to the backlash that Microsoft (MS) is getting and they are basing decisions off of this,” he said. “I would assume MS is also, but I don’t know that for sure. But I can say, for sure, that the past week’s PR nightmare for MS has not been lost on Sony and they, in fact, do have a used game ‘solution’ working and have been going back and forth for months on whether to use it. This past week is pushing them strongly into ‘Yeah, let’s not use that.’ ”
In a separate post, he said, “I just heard on Friday that [the used games DRM] wasn’t [coming]. I didn’t want to come right out and post about it because leak-y individuals like myself are getting a bit too much attention. and I don’t care about myself, but I’m not really looking to get my friends into trouble. But I’ve confirmed it with a second person so I got dumb and posted it.”
Obviously that needs to be taken with two fistfuls of salt, but his sources within Sony have been correct in the past and several people on Neogaf have vouched for him.
He also claimed something very interesting in another post: While publishers like these anti-used games plans, they didn't pressure MS and Sony into using them. The drive to implement them was internal to MS and Sony themselves as they're the ones being hit most by used games (because they don't get licensing money from used games). If
that's true, it would be easier for MS and Sony to back away from this DRM than we previously thought.
It would be embarrassing for EA though as they'd have to announce the glorious return of the online pass.