View Single Post
Old May 27 2013, 01:47 AM   #36
YARN
Fleet Captain

Re: Why did they bother...

sj4iy wrote: View Post
Why does everything have to pander to old fans? Just because I've liked Star Trek longer than someone else doesn't mean that my opinion is the only one that matters. And I didn't like TOS or most of the movies. Never have. The acting is wooden and the stories are, for the most part, bad. And it has absolutely nothing to do with the age of the show, because the original Twilight Zone is one of the best shows I've ever seen. I really enjoyed TNG and DS9, though. And I like this reboot. But I don't demand that everyone like exactly what I like, because what fun would that be? But I respect everyone's opinion on it and I won't insult them simply because they are new to it.
No insult is intended, but the function of any criticism or "suggestion for improvement" involves an implicit accusation.

Examples:

RELIGION: "Your beliefs are wrong and you should turn to my deity to seek forgiveness for your sins."

HIGHER EDUCATION: "You won't be as respectable, be as smart, or get the job you want without our service. As it stands, you're level of education is inadequate."

SHAMPOO: "Yuck, get rid of that dandruff!"

You don't like TOS and say that it was bad. The acting was, so you say, wooden and it is terrible in comparison to other shows like the Twilight Zone. Should the TOS fan complain about being insulted or get a thicker skin and realize that people have different opinions. I mean, I could choose to be insulted by your claim that TOS stories were simply bad, but you're entitled to your opinion even if it is offensive to my own. Why aren't critics of NuTrek entitled to their opinions?
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote