View Single Post
Old May 26 2013, 08:55 PM   #11
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Why did they bother...

Captain Nebula wrote: View Post
Why did they bother with the original Trek crew in these new movies? They could have easily created a new crew. There are only a couple of characters that act like their original counterpart from the original TV series. Spock stayed away from Christine Chapel in the original because he thought it was inappropriate. But this new Spock is all over Uhura. Kirk is promoted from "Cadet who is about to get expelled" to First Officer - completely bypassing Kirk ever serving on the Farragut. Karl Urban's got the McCoy-isms down pretty good. But Scotty is just a guy with an accent - even though Simon Pegg is pretty funny. So is Chekov - just an accent. And it's almost racist that they got a Chinese actor to play the part that a Japanese actor played on the TV show. Did I miss anybody?

They could have at least had Pine do a Shatner imitation.

I guess if it brings in the big bucks at the theater...

/rant

Any thoughts?
Kirk and Spock are bigger than William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy. Superman is bigger than Christopher Reeve. Sherlock Holmes is bigger than whoever the hell played him prior to Benadict Cumberbatch, Johnny Lee Miller and Robert Downey, Jr.

Plus, who gives a shit about Captain Nobody of the USS Generic Starship? I want to see the characters I cared about reborn. I got that and I'm very happy