Old May 26 2013, 02:03 AM   #34
feek61
Captain

Re: Star Trek Continues "Pilgrim of Eternity"

DCR wrote: View Post
Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
DCR wrote: View Post
I
Larry Nemecek as Bones. He wasn't bad, I liked the expressiveness of his acting, but I liked Chuck Huber better in the vignettes. I think part of the problem is that he seemed a bit too much like Dr. Piper from the first pilot than McCoy...
I watched this late last night at 3 am. I have to admit that when I first saw the doctor appear on screen, my first thought was "Dr. Piper is in this?" I think he looks and sounds more like Piper than he does Bones. All in all, I thought this was a great first episode. They did a really great job, and there was a lot of easter eggs in the episode for fans to enjoy. The introduction of the holodeck was also inspired. All of the acting was top notch. Chris Doohan as Scotty was beyond amazing!
See for me, the Holodeck fell completely flat. Part of it is that I see it as the one great technological leap separating TNG era from TOS era - so it doesn't belong in a TOS-era series. Not in my opinion, anyways. Also, and this is a big complaint, it did nothing for the story. Nothing.

Take it out and you lose nothing but the call-out to Spectre of the Gun, and none of it's referenced again in the episode.
It wasn't really a call-out to "Spectre of the Gun," it was a nod to Gene Roddenberry's writing for "Have Gun Will Travel" (BTW, Doug Drexler was the "Paladin" character on the holodeck). GR wrote a TON of "Have Gun Will Travel" episodes (I think about half) and that scene was a little Easter egg. As mentioned earlier the holodeck concept was introduced in TAS and in this episode Scotty mentioned it was experimental. I don't have an issue with the scene honestly.