View Single Post
Old May 26 2013, 12:26 AM   #193
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Offiical XBox (3) Launch Thread

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
SO because people will crack them, they shouldn't try.

That's like saying people will break into peoples home but the police shouldn't try to stop them.
No, more along the lines of they shouldn't beat guests as they come in to your B&B because there's burglaries been reported in the area.
No it isn't, piracy is a crime. It is only natural developers will want to implement measures to try and combat a loss to their revenue. Now we as a consumer might not always like them. And yes some people will crack them. But just because crime does and will happen doesn't mean that it should stop being fought.

You are a games developer, one console is trying to help you combat this by somesort of DRM measure. The same console is changing the way second hand games are handled so you as a developer will earn a share of the re-sale of a game.

Either with a first-time buyer or a re-sale you earn money. Sounds like a win to me. So the X1 might be more attractive to devlop for, do exclusives for.

Now of course some of the featues might put off some people from buying the console, the question is how big is that perentage? <1%, 1%, 10% etc...

We now accept DRM measures on PC games, and I suspect there where the same complaints when it was brought in for PC's as there is now about consoles. That isn't to say the measures they are bringing in are the right measures, would many of us object to having to enter a code like we do now on most PC games?

The primary issue should be around the 24hr log on issue. Perhaps the 24hr log on issue is to do with checking to make sure no one else is using your copy of the game? Though I think if you don't have the internet the console should work without the check, and perhaps only check if you've set the console up so that it is connected to the internet.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote