View Single Post
Old May 25 2013, 05:16 AM   #87
blssdwlf
Commodore

Re: Updating FJ's technical manual?

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
blssdwlf wrote: View Post
This is the spoken dialogue: "By installing a booster, we can increase that capability on the order of one to the fourth power."

Since "one to the fourth power" equals "one", here is the translated dialogue: "By installing a booster, we can increase that capability on the order of one."

"An order of one" magnitude is a x10 increase in capability, if we assume Kirk meant an "order of magnitude".
If you're going to bend over backwards to read it that way, then "to the fourth power" is still completely superfluous.
The translation seemed obvious to me <shrugs>. The only bending over backwards was quoting the text in several easy to follow steps to see where the dialogue ended up going. I only wish I looked at this earlier instead of assuming this was an absurd bit of dialogue Bad, as in clunky, yeah.

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Which is the point. It's only there to sound technical. It's like a prop, but in dialog.
So does that mean the dialogue went from not absurd to a prop? Maybe he just wanted impress his old girlfriend.
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote