View Single Post
Old May 24 2013, 04:35 PM   #48
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: Help Into Darkness

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
The thing about "Science Fantasy" or "Space Fantasy" (as Lucas originally described Star Wars ) is that Trek fits just as comfortably into that category as Star Wars does.
I don't think it does, but I've said before it doesn't matter to me what people want to call the films. I do think Lucas is right. Space Fantasy sounds more accurate because there's not a lick of fictional science in any of those movies. I know there are light sabers and such, but they are not presented in a sci-fi way. They just work and they are used, kind of like magic. That's fantasy, not sci-fi.

I just wonder why it seems sometimes that people try really hard to put their sci-fi in another category or cram everything else into a category with sci-fi (like "speculative fiction"). I'm not saying you do this; it's just a thought.

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Well I've done my part. I've managed to talk my family out of seeing it and five of my buddies as well. It will probably still do great business over it's second weekend, but I'm not going to fool myself into thinking that this film needs to succeed in order for the Star Trek franchise to continue having relevance.
You know, I think I remember you from another Trek website. I think you were one of the people that said this movie would have issues, and I didn't believe it at the time. Well, I believe now. I'm not happy about it, but it's the truth. You were right, imo.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote