View Single Post
Old May 24 2013, 12:40 PM   #32
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Re: Cumberbatch Shower Scene

teacake wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
That's okay, Cumby, darling, J's here to comfort* you.

* - feel you up while pretending to listen intently.
I don't think you'd say it like that if it was Alice Eve we were talking about.
I don't think you'd say it like that if it was Alice Eve we were talking about.
Why not? To not do so would be to invite a double standard.

My busy hands know no gender!
This has nothing to do with real life and what you wouldn't do, no one has brought that up but yourself. I'm just saying that talking about feeling up an actor comes easier and is less offensive if the actor is male, I think if the actor is female you would have a pause in this forum before you posted such a thing. It doesn't come across as tongue in cheek, it comes across as crossing a line though the line seems more strongly drawn when we are talking about women.
All joking aside, for the moment, I'm sure people would pause. Still, feeling up a man without getting his permission is just as wrong as feeling up a woman without getting her permission. I don't see it as a gender issue, though. Gender doesn't even play into it from my perspective. Invading someone's personal space without their consent is wrong. That seems simple enough. Now, what seems to be the trouble?
Obviously invading anyone's personal space without their permission is wrong, male or female, but I think you're kind of missing the forest for the trees here in your pursuit of avoiding double standards, J. There's a stronger implication behind saying you're going to feel up a woman than a man without their permission because of the vastly higher rate of sexual harassment and assault women face on a daily basis. Saying that to or about a 5'4" woman (or any woman) is probably not going to come across the same way as it would saying it to or about a 6'0" man, because of the history and implications behind such comments from each perspective.

Now, like teacake, I'll throw out the qualifier that this has nothing to do with you, personally. You're a good guy and I know you meant nothing sinister by it and would never feel up anyone without their consent. I just disagree with you that it should mean the same thing to men and women, especially in our present day society where sexual harassment and assault --especially though not exclusively toward women-- is a major concern.