View Single Post
Old May 24 2013, 11:56 AM   #3569
Tai
Fleet Captain

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
I seriously debated whether or not I wanted to post what I thought about Star Trek Into Darkness here; but I figure there are people who probably want to see my take, so I'll post it anyway. Or, more accurately, cut-and-paste.
Fair enough. But since you took the time to reason out your problems with it I'll offer some thoughts of these points, whether a reply is coming or not!

1. Why would Admiral Marcus need to revive Khan to figure out how to fight the Klingons? It would be like someone today reviving Napoleon to figure out how to fight the North Koreans. Second of all, Starfleet has had 100 years to prepare for the Klingons by this point. The two sides have always been portrayed as powers of equal strength. The Klingons are a threat, but they're not an overwhelming one. Humanity also seems savage and primitive enough that they don't need Khan's insights. The humans in the Abrams films, unlike the Roddenberry series, would fit right into today's world.
A fair point. I think it may speak to how intelligent Khan really is. He caught up pretty damn fast in regards to technology, and physically he dispatched the Klingons of this film in short order.

I would imagine Khan was just one of many coals Section 31 had in its fires, and the fact that after thawing out, he so quickly was able to design the Vengeance's systems and the new torpedoes meant he was a home run as far as being a covert asset... until he got all terrorist-y.

2. Khan would never allow himself to become a pawn of Starfleet or Section 31. He'd never save Kirk from the Klingons. And he's not really that ruthless in this film. He should've killed Kirk right before beaming his corpse back to the Enterprise or fatally wounded him at least so he'd be dying and in as much pain as possible even as he intended to destroy the Enterprise. He does horrible things but he himself doesn't act villainous enough. The original Khan, as well as Kruge in "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock", were much more black-hatted, which is what Khan should be.
The Khan we saw in Space Seed was greeted by a cordial Kirk who literally handed him the Enterprise technical manuals and a historian who was ready to drop her panties at the first sight of him. I'd imagine he felt supremely confident he could take over Earth again in five minutes after meeting that bunch.

The Khan in this timeline met Admiral Marcus, who was probably pretty damn ruthless and Khan probably figured he was a guy to be reckoned with. I got the sense however even in helping Marcus he was biding his time until the Vengeance was ready. Scotty said, "I thought he was helping us." Kirk replied, "I get the feeling we're helping him."

5. The treatment of Doctor Marcus is extremely sexist. She undresses while Kirk is in the same room and the only reason is to show a shot of her in her underwear. When she screams after Admiral Marcus is killed, it's like something from out of a '50s B-movie. They can't even stay away from the sex jokes while McCoy is down with her while they perform "surgery" on the torpedo.
Lt. Marla McGivers going completely gaga over Khan and betraying her uniform and her crew over a day-old sexual attraction is true sexism. We contextualize it because of the era. But re-watching "Space Seed" in anticipation of this film was embarrassing for that reason.

Lt. Marcus in this film is introduced as a Doctorate in Physics. Right of the bat that's a positive example of a woman in science. She showed an independent streak--her disobeying orders and regulations was done to get to the bottom of a plot which by instinct she knew was trouble. She stood up publicly to her very powerful and authoritative father in an effort to save her ship. I found her and Uhura both to have had strong characteristics and qualities. Her scream was seeing her father's skull crushed. Seems understandable to me.
I don't really agree at all with the criticisms of this being a sexist film. Yes, the underwear scene was certainly gratuitous. But it was a two second gag to show Kirk's dumbstruck expression.

6. Why would Khan's blood restore anything to life? They don't even try to explain it. It's just magic blood that can somehow reanimate every cell in your body. On a side-note: does that mean Khan could be immortal?
You're right. Over-reach on the writer's part. But they did reinforce the notion both with the little girl in the beginning and the Tribble. This was one of the backbones of the film's plot. It was flimsy, but threaded with the other points-- I personally let it slide.

7. There's an entire ethical dilemma that's not even touched upon. Now that the location of the Botany Bay is known, should these escaped supermen and superwomen stand trial? I'm surprised they were all just left in suspended animation but that could've been mitigated if there was at least a discussion about what should be done with them.
In... well, ONE of the timelines that lead to the Star Trek universe the Eugenics Wars are followed up by a Third World War, a nuclear third world war. When you blow up the world, your previous judicial proceedings lose some of their legitimacy. It's hard to carry out a sentence delivered by a government that no longer exists. I'd say when the crew of the SS Botany Bay was revived, they had clean records. At least that's my opinion.

9. When Spock is fighting Khan on Earth, it feels more like "The Matrix" than "Star Trek". And why just beam down Uhura to let Spock know not to kill Khan? Maybe Uhura is the only one who can get through to Spock quickly enough but she's Communications Officer. There should be at least one Security Officer as well.
Agreed. Why not just beam down an entire security team to go after Khan in the first place instead of just Spock alone?

11. Starfleet has sensors, ships in orbit have sensors, spacedock has sensors. Why did it take Kirk to figure out that "Harrison" was about to attack where the briefing was being held?
Ugh. Where were the sensors on the battle next to the moon? Where were the Klingon sensors detecting the Enterprise had entered their space? Where were the sensors in a Section 31 facility showing a highly reactive metal was on that dude's ring?

Apparently Earth and Kronos have no sensors in this timeline. I don't remember sensors in ToS being so non-existent.

Of course, there was no armed Combat Air Patrol above the Pentagon on 9/11. The F-16 taking off at Andrews supposedly didn't have any ammunition and had orders to crash into United 97 to stop it. Governments sometimes do get a false sense of security around their military headquarters.

12. This is last because I realized as I was watching that this was the least of the film's problems: if you're going to cast someone to play Khan, it should either be a Hispanic actor, like Ricardo Montalban was, or an Indian. The fact that a 1967 episode and a 1982 film are more diverse than a 2013 film is inexcusable. This is not to slight Benedict Cumberbatch but I think he was miscast, unless they had him just be John Harrison. On that note: I understand that Khan went by a false identity but, if you're going to have the false identity, why not go the rest of the way and have McCoy or Khan himself mention that he was surgically altered?
Rumor had it that JJ Abrams tried to get Benecio Del Toro... When that fell through he just figured he'd get a damn fine actor and let him re imagine the role. I feel like Benedict Cumberbatch did a fine job.