View Single Post
Old May 24 2013, 11:16 AM   #72
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Have cultural standards gotten lower?

Pingfah wrote: View Post
Oh, hah well you know I am tremendously slack when it comes to recording things. I love the songwriting process, and I do it constantly. I'm always writing new material and refining things I have been playing, but I am terrible at getting them down because I find the process of recording to be so tedious.
I know what you mean-- getting stuff out of your head into the world can be a chore.

So I write stuff, and spend months refining it and adding little inflections in etc until I can play it just the way I want, then I get bored of it and move onto a new one. So of the probably hundreds of songs I have written in the last decade alone, I have recorded precisely one. And I can remember, at the current count, three.
I assume that one must be "Misunderstood."

Most of them are down and buried somewhere in the thousands of hours of live recordings of my jam sessions with friends that my drummer friend insists on keeping, it's just a question of digging them out when I finally get round to recording again, they'll come right back to me when I try to play them. And I plan to buy a standalone 8 track machine instead of recording on my computer, because I am told it's much much easier. I'll keep you posted.
Awesome. You might want to take a look at this place. I have a friend who has a cool folk band (Cartoon) who uses them to self publish. Seems like a good outlet.

As far as recommendations go, i'll pass on one from Australis I got a few months back which has frankly blown me away, called Black Country Communion, a band featuring the blues guitarist Joe Bonamassa, Jason Bonham and members of Deep Purple and Dream Theater. Really good stuff, if you are into classic rock.
That sounds great; I will track them down. For some good old-school modern Rock, you might want to check out this band-- it's fronted by another friend's daughter.