View Single Post
Old May 24 2013, 10:32 AM   #39
stj
Rear Admiral

Re: New Treknology Into Darkness

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
I have no visual reference for cavitation bubbles and air bubble didn't make any sense.
Almost everyone I've seen that movie with -- including my Dad, the guy who had to see the Matrix four times before he realized the agents weren't actually humans -- recognized that they had some kind of propellers in their boots. I think you simply missed it.

So why would anybody be in free fall? Artificial gravity exists to prevent that very thing!
They would be in free fall because an intelligent person on the bridge would have turned the bloody artificial gravity off so that nobody would fall down the numerous shafts of unknown purpose!
Already covered this in my first post in this thread. Artificial gravity is what normally keeps everyone's feet pointed at the floor while the ship is turning, tumbling, maneuvering or accelerating. When the gravity keeps turning on and off, suddenly the main force acting on the ship's contents -- meaning the crew -- is the motion of the ship around its center of gravity. Which means if the Enterprise is tumbling, most of the crew is between one and three hundred meters from the ship's center of gravity; they're being tossed around like rag dolls literally every time the gravity field shuts down.
Every time the swimmers move their propellers, they change the direction of their motion, except that they didn't. This shows they weren't using propeller boots, no matter any bubbles.

At one point the Enterprise seems to be falling on its side, and Kirk has to leap over a cross corridor, from wall to wall. He is fearful that he will fall "down," meaning towards the Earth. But it is by no means obvious that the artificial gravity can even be tuned so that it points in a different direction. The mere ability to do so constitutes a safety hazard and a threat to the structural integrity of the ship. Also, no one ever accidentally launches themselves into the air whenever these alleged gravity failures occur. Nor is anybody falling "down" that giant hotel lobby space ever so fortunate as to have the supposedly malfunctioning gravity reverse and slow his fall. Also, the center of mass of the ship is irrelevant. Even if the ship were rotating as it fell, the conservation of angular momentum would keep the contents rotating with it. Only if there were angular acceleration on the vessel (as in the bridge crew trying to upright the ship as it fell) and there was a simultaneous gravity failure would anybody be tossed about. But even in this case, no one would be falling downward toward the Earth!

I'm sorry, all we see is people somehow falling faster than a free falling vessel.