View Single Post
Old May 24 2013, 01:35 AM   #41
Christopher
Writer

Re: Did Star Wars cash in on Star Trek?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Well, we should probably squeeze Planet of the Apes in there. That was huge in the seventies: five movies, two TV series, books, magazines, comics, and enough merchandise to fill the Forbidden Zone . . ..

Was Trek bigger than Apes in the seventies? That's probably a judgment call.
I guess that depends on whether you're defining it in terms of market footprint or in terms of fan passion. It was ST that prompted such things as huge SF conventions and the proliferation of fanzines, not to mention that fanfic tropes like "slash" (from K/S) and "Mary Sue" were coined in Trek fandom and only later generalized to other franchises.

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I never claimed that SW was "better".
You said it "wouldn't be the case" that SW was "the lesser." You didn't specify how you meant "lesser."

I did however claim, and support, that SW (1977) can't be pigeonholed as only riding the wave of ST's success, which hopefully should be a clearer way of expressing some of what I said. SW was much more than that, in concept, in terms of the interest it generated, and in terms of marketshare.
Okay, I went back and reviewed the original post, and I guess the question was whether SW succeeded because it was riding the wave of ST's success. I'd agree that that wasn't what happened there. It's true that Lucas was influenced by ST and hoping to benefit from the interest of its fanbase, so he was "cashing in" to that extent, but it's also true that his little Flash Gordon pastiche turned out to be far huger than he or anyone else could ever have anticipated. It wasn't just borrowing the success of some other franchise or film, but achieved success beyond what any other movie ever had up to that time and for years to come.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote