View Single Post
Old May 24 2013, 01:34 AM   #16
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Re: Sci-Fi or Action?

Marsden wrote: View Post
ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Depends on the episode. Although the series is generally accepted as "science fiction," there are many which aren't. The series should probably be categorized as "fantasy." "It's a Good Life" has no sci-fi in it, it has a kid with natural powers. It's horror/fantasy.
ssosmcin wrote: View Post
The details are sci-fi, but the general plot can be and was used as a general warfare plot on Earth in almost any era. It's not a sci-fi story, it's a story used in a sci-fi milieu.
I think I'm still having trouble distinguishing the difference of what you said. I understand what you seem to be saying but the distinction of it seems blurry. Could you give me a few examples, for clarification? If you want to, of course.

I'll try a few.

Event Horizon, would be Horror instead of Science Fiction, or both possbily? (maybe I was the only one that saw that)
Both. No reason why it can't be. Frankenstein is both as well. Dracula on the other hand is Fantasy Horror.

[
2001 would sound like it's got to be Science Fiction, but but is it really just a Mystery within a sci-fi milieu?
Science Fiction Mystery sounds about right. Caves of Steel is one too, using slightly more "traditional" elements.

Galaxy Quest is a comedy, but it has (in story) real aliens and space ships, is it a Science Fiction movie as well?
Yeah, Science Fiction Comedy. As is Spaceballs. Which is also a specific style of comedy, parody.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers is probably a horror movie within a sci-fi milieu.
Science Fiction Horror. TOS uses a similar plot in "This Side of Paradise".

As far as concepts go, is mental powers (telepathy, telekinesis) a science fiction concept or a fantasy concept, or both, or something else entirely?
Both. If Doctor Strange reads your mind it Fantasy. If Professor X reads your mind it's Science Fiction.