View Single Post
Old May 23 2013, 11:53 PM   #150
Coal the Elf
Commodore

View Coal the Elf's Twitter Profile
Re: Offiical XBox (3) Launch Thread

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I'm not sure how this is possible, but it just keeps getting worse. Check out this patent from Microsoft that Kotaku uncovered for Kinect. Here's the highlight.

Kotaku wrote:
Content is distributed to consuming devices, such as televisions, set-top boxes and digital displays, with an associated license option on the number of individual consumers or viewers allowed to consume the content. The limitation may comprise a number of user views, a number of user views over time, a number of simultaneous user views, views tied to user identities, views limited to user age or any variation or combination thereof, all tied to the number of actual content consumers allowed to view the content.

<snip>

The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken.
Invited a few friends over to watch a new movie on your Xbox One? Well, unfortunately your license only covers three people. Guess you'll have to draw straws to see who has to hide behind the couch.

Just adding that, yes, this is just a patent that has a 99% chance of never seeing the light of day, but it's still a pretty fucked up idea.
Seriously ... 1984 anyone? That really is fucked up. That's not the kind of gaming system that I'd want anywhere near my home. That's a little too privacy invading for my taste.

Sephiroth wrote: View Post
i tell ya what, if this thing forces us to have an always-on kinect than fuck em, I won't buy, I don't want a camera and microphone in my den. Period.
Same here. Especially if someone finds a way to hack the fricken stuff like they have on laptop cameras/pc ones >_>... Not something I'd want on all the time. There has to be a way to turn it off, it wouldn't make any sense to keep it on 24/7.