View Single Post
Old May 23 2013, 11:47 PM   #38
Belz...
Fleet Captain

Re: Was there a TMP Enterprise outrage ?

General_Phoenix wrote: View Post
I can't comment much on what people thought of the Connie refit back then since I was still fairly young, but I personally loved the design. It seems to be almost universally accepted now though, a lot of people seem to love the design. One gripe I have is the dull paint job they gave it in later films, in TMP it had a pearlesque paint job, almost self illuminating, I think they started to dull the paint job in Wrath of Khan and every film after that had a duller paint scheme.
That may be so. Though the paint on the TMP Enterprise was a bit special, I think, and lit the way it was in TWOK may have yielded very different looks. The way it looked depended on the lighting and angle, which they try to reproduce with the new 2009 design.

I distinctly remember a collective gasp in the theater when the Enterprise A was unveiled at the end of IV.
I was dissapointed. I wanted a new design.

I like the 2009 Enterprise as well though, I think I read somewhere that in new timeline the Constitution Class was delayed 10 years or so, so I guess this design has refit elements already there.
It gets weirded with the comics, who claim there was another Enterprise 20 years before Into Darkness, which was decommissioned two years prior. From the comics it looks identical to the new one, which is odd.