View Single Post
Old May 23 2013, 10:15 PM   #34
stj
Rear Admiral

Re: New Treknology Into Darkness

Mytran wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
The first thing that really hurt suspension of disbelief were the scenes with the swimmers effortlessly swimming down. After all, a split second before they didn't even have masks on!
I had the same thought when I saw the scene, but then I noticed a continuous stream of bubbles from their feet. It gave the impression of "thrust boots" of some sort, propelling them down. They'd certainly need the help at that depth!

Maybe they just whipped the masks into place when they hit the water, James-Bond-Thunderball style?
I have no visual reference for cavitation bubbles and air bubble didn't make any sense.

Also...

B.J. wrote: View Post
Yeah, the boots were definitely providing thrust, especially since they were hardly moving their limbs at all.
If they're getting thrust from their feet, why would they move them at all? Every move would turn them I should think.

Timo wrote: View Post
The first thing that really hurt suspension of disbelief were the scenes with the swimmers effortlessly swimming down. After all, a split second before they didn't even have masks on!
I really don't understand this bit. What would be wrong with people swimming, say, twenty meters down without masks or flippers or other such equipment? I do it every so often, without much effort.

Is it that there's too little struggling with the limbs? But you wouldn't need that if you aren't buoyant but instead a bit denser than water, something fairly easily accomplished.
First, my experience with diving a mere three meters doesn't fit. I'm impressed that you can go down so quickly. Second, and more importantly, the buoyant force doesn't depend upon water density alone, but water depth. I don't know how easy it would be to increase their body density when that affect physiology, nor how they would do it without divers' weights. But they certainly don't sink rapidly at first and slow down.

I'm sorry but to my eyes this scene just made me think of a bad movie made by people who were too pig ignorant to know how water in a swimming pool works, and didn't give a rat's ass if what they put on screen made a damn bit of sense.

The second thing that really hurt suspension of disbelief was the ship falling but people not being in free fall. The scenes really did not suggest the ship's gravity was malfunctioning.
So why would anybody be in free fall? Artificial gravity exists to prevent that very thing!
They would be in free fall because an intelligent person on the bridge would have turned the bloody artificial gravity off so that nobody would fall down the numerous shafts of unknown purpose!