View Single Post
Old May 23 2013, 08:14 PM   #19
Christopher
Writer

Re: WTF: Amazon is going to see legal fan fiction

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Oh I can see the pros getting screwed on this deal. Why pay a pro when the fanficcers will do it for free.
Because experienced professionals will turn out better work than most of the amateurs and thus their work will sell better?
Quality of work aside, why pay a higher amount to a professional when you can pay zero to a fanficcer and make pure profit?
You miss my point. The amount of profit depends on how many people buy the books. And well-written, professional books would presumably satisfy the audience more and thus sell more copies -- i.e. make more profit -- in the long run.

In other words:

Why pay 1 person out of my pocket, when I can get a dozen little monkeys working for me for free and all I have to do is cash the check coming in?
Because the checks coming in may not be as big in the latter case. If the audience doesn't like a product as much, it won't be as successful. As DorkBoy suggested, a lot of people who'd read fanfiction for free wouldn't necessarily pay for work of the same quality. Particularly since these works won't have the freedom of fanfic to do things like slash, erotica, or crossovers with other franchises. So it takes away a lot of what makes fanfic worthwhile to its readers and becomes just conventional tie-in fiction of inconsistent quality.

Not saying it'll be the death of professional tie-in writers, but it's has the potential to cut into their bottom line and clog the market.
Initially, perhaps, but I'm hopeful that the market will speak and the quality, professional work will sell better overall.

rahullak wrote: View Post
Disagree on damage to the current authors and official Treklit. I don't see fan fiction in any way overriding or chipping away at professional fiction, at least when it comes to Star Trek for the reasons you mentioned: quality and editing.
Although as HuffPo pointed out, since it's for profit, it's not really fanfiction. It's crowdsourcing licensed tie-in fiction. The risk is that publishers could see that as a cheaper alternative and be less inclined to hire folks like me, Dave, KRAD, Kirsten, Greg, and the rest. What I'm hoping is that they'll choose to go with names they can trust to sell well rather than gambling on unknowns, however cheap.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote