View Single Post
Old May 23 2013, 03:24 AM   #128
Christopher
Writer

Re: One particular SPOILER from The Name of the Doctor

Robert D. Robot wrote: View Post
I just watched "The Name of the Doctor" this afternoon. As I recall, GI mentions that the Doctor has done horrendous things, but in an incarnation (incarnations?) known as "The Storm", "The Beast" and "The Valeyard".
Not different incarnations, just different names that various enemies applied to him. "The Oncoming Storm" applied to the Doctor as a whole, not to any specific incarnation; the Daleks considered the Doctor their archenemy no matter what face he wore. And given how many Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans, Ice Warriors, Zygons, etc. the Doctor has been responsible for killing directly or indirectly, it's no surprise that his enemies would call him "the Beast" even as those he saved hailed him as a hero. That was the point of that line, a point that Moffat had previously made in "The Pandorica Opens" and "A Good Man Goes to War": that while we see the Doctor as a force for good, his enemies see him as the greatest evil in the universe. He's the guy that monsters have nightmares about.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote