View Single Post
Old May 22 2013, 06:57 PM   #30
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: are the original series blu rays any good?

KarmicCurse wrote: View Post
Each season is $45 at Best Buy this week.

I just bought season 1 and I've seen 3 episodes so far. They do look quite good, but the soft lighting and deliberate (I think) blurring of some shots detract from the clarity. That's not so much a transfer issue as it is the artistic choices made at the time, which retains a certain contemporary glamour.
Are you talking about the closeups of beautiful women being shot through a soft-focus filter? This was pretty standard in the 60s, and, yes, it was intentional.

From what I had read I expected to be blown away. I am impressed but not quite blown away because there is a LOT of grain (or is it the term snow?) throughout.
There's supposed to be grain, because that's what film looks like.

I understand that old film just won't look as good, but I also have the older James Bond movies on bluray and those look spectacular!
Actually, that's simply not correct. Old film looks just as good as new film as long as it's been well preserved. In fact, all film, both old and new, has even greater resolution than a modern HD TV show, greater resolution than your TV is capable of showing. A movie made fifty years ago can look like it was filmed just yesterday. But grain is a part of the film. It's not the result of bad or old film, it's always been there in the film.

I can put my face right up to the screen and those movies look like an oil painting. No hint of grain or pixels. Maybe the original film stock was better for movies?
No, it's been manipulated with a computer to remove grain, meaning it is no longer a true representation of the actual film.