View Single Post
Old May 21 2013, 06:30 PM   #12
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile
Re: Did Star Wars cash in on Star Trek?

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post

One thing Star Wars was doing at the expense of Star Trek was cannibalizing fandom (many Trekkies turned Warriors). This and stealing Star Trek's "thunder" was probably what led to the animosities and this stupid Star Trek vs. Star Wars theme.
Yes, but your statement that "many Trekkies turned Warriors" as if one can't possibly be a devoted fan of both is the kind of binary thinking that leads to Trek v Wars arguments. Its just silly, really. I grew up on Star Trek, fell in love with Star Wars in 1977 and became a devout Dr Who fan in the mid-80s. All at the same time. Becoming a fan of SW or DW didn't mean I was no longer a Trek Fan, or was a lesser fan somehow.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote