View Single Post
Old May 21 2013, 06:08 PM   #38
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Re: Who would have had to quit their job to look after baby Miral?

R. Star wrote: View Post
Or Naomi could make a good babysitter while the parents are at work. Or those Borg kids.
By this time, Icheb is the only Borg kid left, and he's busy studying for Starfleet entrance exams.

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
I was always surprised there weren't more babies being born on Voyager. I guess 24th century contraception is fail-proof, but I would think in that timeline at least a few more people would decide to procreate, which would necessitate a 1701-D-style daycare/school eventually.

In the mean time, leave the baby with Samantha. She's had practice, and she's never at work anyway.
Not to mention, Sam probably owes a ton of babysitting favors to a lot of people.

A lot of fanfic has Tal Celes as the person chosen to be the nanny for whichever couple ends up being parents (Tom & B'Elanna, Janeway & Chakotay, Seven & Chakotay, etc.). The Doctor can always add a nanny/Early Childhood subroutine to his programming, and I could see Janeway allowing B'Elanna to keep a crib tucked away in a corner of the Ready Room if they have to be on duty for long stretches. The question is really what would happen if there was a terrible emergency of some kind - would the parents be able to keep their minds on their duties and not automatically rush off to look after the kid. That's why it would be critical to choose someone level-headed to be the babysitter/nanny.

Why Tuvok didn't point out early on how logical it would be for the crew to start having children is beyond me. It's as if Janeway actually expected to still be able to function as Captain 70 years later and not need a new generation of crew to help out...

Actually, they should get Chakotay to babysit. It's not like he does anything useful around there anyway.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote