View Single Post
Old May 21 2013, 04:55 PM   #85
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: If you wrote the next one, which original episode would you revisi

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
Ovation wrote: View Post
Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post

Ain't that the truth? There were at least two scenes where I thought they were going to start making out. But don't kid yourself - that's why the whole WTF? Uhura/ Spock romance is there. Can't have anyone thinking our boys are gay, even though Kirk's overly aggressive womanizing screams "in the closet"!
And sometimes a womanizer is just a womanizer. Don't get me wrong. If Abrams had decided to make Kirk and/or Spock gay as characters--I would have no problem with that (no more than I had with a woman as Starbuck in BSG, or with a black Norse god in Thor or the new Alan Scott being gay in DC's Earth 2 series orů). And I've definitely seen other characters in film and TV programmes who are in danger of falling out "of the closet". I just didn't get that vibe in this case. Of course, everyone comes away from experiencing art with their own take, but I didn't come away with that feeling.
Ovation!, how you doing, love?
Quite well, my dear, and you?

I was joking...

Except for this - in TOS Kirk always had an interesting tension to his womanizing. He plainly liked sex, found lots of women sexy, liked being sexy to women - but he could also be reluctant (Mudd's Women, Miri) and calculating about seduction (What are Little Girls Made of, Catspaw, Wink of an Eye), and in general he was, well, classier about it all than Pine's Kirk who seems to walk around with his tongue hanging out like a frat boy on the make.

Now, granted they are plainly playing nuKirk as a younger, more immature version of the character at this point - but anyone who can't walk across a courtyard without giving a wink and a "Hey there, sexy lady" to a passing hottie comes across to me as either trying way too hard to prove he's hetero, or just an asshat. The problem is they're playing it for laughs, rather than trying to make nuKirk actually sexy, so that when he is actually sexy, as in scenes of real loyalty and emotion, who he's having those scenes with - is Spock.

I mean, one of my biggest problems with nuTrek is that McCoy is sexier than Kirk - and that's just wrong.
Well, I found it toned down from the previous film (which I'd just watched the day before) but I can see where the womanizing might have seemed more prominent if I'd not seen the 09 film in a long time.

As for sexy, I have to say I find no one especially sexy in this new incarnation. There is a degree of beauty that I can appreciate but for me, sexy is not synonymous with beauty. But I've never really watched Star Trek for "sexiness" (at least not since early adolescence), so I don't make too much out of it.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote