View Single Post
Old May 21 2013, 04:18 PM   #91
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Re: Would you like a bsg style reboot of Star trek?

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Link?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valeri_Polyakov
Plus all other humans who stayed in space for prolonged periods.
Sorry, I see nothing there that supports what you're saying or contradicts what I said. In fact, I'll see you and raise you. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight...health_effects:

Spaceflight osteopenia is a serious problem, and it places a significant burden of proof on anyone asserting that people conceived, developed, born, and raised in space will be able to withstand acceleration, especially that of one or more gees.

We won't really know until people are conceived, developed, and born in weightless environments, but science fiction authors such as Niven, and others, write that such people can never return to Earth.
There are no people born and raised in space.
The closest are astronauts/cosmonauts/etc.
In 0 g one suffers principally bone and muscle loss. That doesn't cause one to drop dead in space; nor does it prevent one from withstanding the g stresses of reentry.
The bone/muscle mass is recuperated on earth in ~6 months.

As such - all available evidence is that humans can survive 0 g and acceleration in 0 g.

People born in 0 g can't return to earth? Maybe, maybe not; no proof either way.
But they are likely to be able to live in 0 g and to withstand g forces there.

The problem of how to build bridges has been solved, yet they still fall down. Wear and tear always creates problems.

Spacecraft with rotating sections will entail their own sets of problems, such as how to avoid catastrophic destruction of the spacecraft, if a section should get hit by space debris.
You are moving the goalposts:
I said creating artificial gravity via centrifugal force is a solved problem.
NOT that making this technology (or any technology) infallible is a solved problem.
I moved no goalposts. I simply pointed out that there is a gulf between solving a problem on paper and solving one in practice. The problem is not completely solved until it is solved in practice.

As yet, we have no space stations or spacecraft with centrifugal gravity.

Until such time as those things exist, we cannot boast that it is an already solved problem. You can't speak of things that have never existed in the past tense.
So, you agree that centrifugal gravity is a reality.
You just don't agree that we can build in practice a rotating structure - despite the fact that we have all the tools needed AKA there are no problems beyond actually crossing the ts?
If, in these conditions, humans can't build a rotating habitat, then I'm sorry to say we'll never expand into space: we just don't have the brain power - by a significant margin.