View Single Post
Old May 21 2013, 03:56 PM   #816
Joby
Fleet Captain

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

The ironic thing is that previous Trek films have always talked about having "the best villian since Khan" or "we have another Khan". I remember how ridiculous it got in the 90s and early 2000s. Soran was supposed to be Khan in GEN back in 1994. Then Ru'afo was supposed to be Khan in INS, then Shinzon was the next Khan in NEM.

The Khan silliniess wasn't limited to the TNG movies, I think I even remember reading about comparsions of Sybok to Khan around the time TFF came out. Khan, Khan, Khan, so many Trek films have tried to replicate a singular manipulative villian to the lengths of Khan.

ITD actually HAS freakin' KHAN, and they don't even want to brag about it!!! They having the villian to end all villians in Trek lore here. J.J. and the marketing department really dropped the ball by being so damn secretive about Khan. Even people that don't know Trek that well have heard of Khan at some point, they could have told everyone "we have the Joker of our universe in this movie, you better come see it!"

But face it, Trek will never be as mainstream or kid friendly as Star Wars or Batman. Ofcourse, we all know this is not new, this was the case back 30 years ago. What did a typical kid want to see? Vader and Luke in Return of the Jedi or Mr. Spock talking about "the needs of the many" in Wrath of Khan? That whole dork/loser sitgma is powerfully attached to the franchise, so it's amazing that despite that Trek still puts up very respectable summer box office numbers. Just not the numbers Paramount was hoping for. There's obviously a ton of closet Trek fans out there. And even Star Wars took some damage in the public cool-O-meter with the lackluster prequel movies and and the rabid fans dressed up was Wookies or Stormtroppers running around with lightsabers.
Joby is offline   Reply With Quote