View Single Post
Old May 21 2013, 01:19 PM   #812
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

AbramsIsSatan wrote: View Post
Iron Man 3 has already made a billion dollars worldwide (with a budget of only 200 million). It's opening weekend was 174 million. Paramount has to be disappointed with Star Trek in comparison.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=ironman3.htm
Yeah, but it was a better film in spite of its issues. Quite enjoyable, towards the end even touching, and I'll be getting it on DVD. I can't say the same for STID.

Phily B wrote: View Post
What they needed more of in the marketing.

- Klingons
- Khan
- Spock
- Vengeance firing phasers on the Enterprise

Too secretive, especially for a sequel 4 years later. I remember people on this board saying it's way too secretive, JJ Abrams would go onto a chat show and show 3 frames of it...which was what..six months before release? We knew nothing.
I'd say no to your list only because I think that would have made the ads even more misleading. The Klingons were barely used, and not used well, Khan went by a different name for most of the film and was definitely a hit-and-miss bad guy (that might be good kind of?), Spock (don't get me started) just... wasn't, and well I guess the Vegeance firing on Enterprise would work. There was definitely a lot of action.

The sad thing for me is that it was mostly dumb action that felt like it was piles and piles of crash-crash-bang-bang-boom-boom-'splosion-run-run-crash-crash.....................'splosion.

One thing that would have been honest would have been to make Kirk the center of every ad because that was definitely the case in the film.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote